3.18.2013

Weekend recipes - Pain Sur Poolish from thefreshloaf.com

This recipe came from thefreshloaf.com.  This was my first attempt with it.  The dough was a bit too wet, but I attempted to follow it exactly.  Next time, I'll add flour to get the right feel.  The crust and crumb were nice, but it did not hold a shape well.

    My Pain Sur Poolish (Daily Bread)
    Makes 2 loaves

    Poolish
    1 cup flour
    1 cup water
    1/4 teaspoon instant yeast

    Final Dough
    1 pound flour
    10-12 ounces water
    1 teaspoon instant yeast
    2 teaspoons salt
    all of the poolish

Combine the ingredients for the poolish in a small bowl the night before baking. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and leave the poolish out at room temperature overnight.

The next day, prepare the final dough, either by using the autolyse method of flour and water first then the rest of the ingredients with minimal mixing or by combining them all and mixing until you have decent gluten development (8 to 10 minutes).

I typically fold the dough once an hour twice during primary fermentation, then shape the loaves and give them a longer final rise, typically around 90 minutes. Meanwhile, my oven and baking stone are preheating as hot as they can safely go.

Baking, with steam, takes me 20 minutes, 5 minutes or so at maximum oven temperature, the remainder at 450-475. I rotate the loaves once half way through the baking.










0 comments: