3.18.2013

Weekend recipes - Basic Sourdough

I've been using the recipe here from northwestsourdough.com for my basic sourdough and it's been turning out well.  It turned out quite well this weekend.

I made two loaves.  I'd bumped up my reserve of starter so that it was overflowing the container by the time I used it.

510g starter
397g water
1 Tbsp oil
935g bread flour
22g salt

Mixed the following:

510g starter
397g water
850g flour
1 Tbsp oil

Let it rest for 20 minutes

Added in:

22g salt
85g flour

Placed the dough in an oiled bowl to bulk ferment, with plastic wrap over the top to prevent drying.

I stretched and folded the dough several times during the ferment.

After about 10 hours, I turned it out of the bowl and shaped it into a batard, and then placed it in a well-floured banneton, covered it with plastic wrap and put it in the refrigerator.

Sunday afternoon, I did a bunch of baking.  The sourdough loaves were the last to get baked, so they cam out of the fridge late after noon.  I left them warm up for a couple of hours.

 I turned the loaf onto the bread peel, slashed the top with my lame, spritzed it heavily with water and then slipped the loaf onto the baking stone.  I then covered the loaf with the steam catcher, and let it bake for 20 minutes.  I then removed the steam catcher and let it bake for 10 more minutes.  I then rotated the loaf 180 degrees and let it bake for a final 10 minutes.  I did the same thing for the second loaf.

The crust was nice, and the crumb was nice.

Below are the results:







0 comments: