5.10.2010

Aikido Saturday Afternoon - 05/08/10

Aikidokas: Tim, Trey, Brad, Sal, Troy and Don.

Ukemi: Not quite a full warm-up.  We got started before I had a chance to go through my usual and I was watching over Don learn how to fall.

The Walk: None, formally.  I worked with Troy and Don quite a bit to get Don all of the way through the Walk learning it.

Releases: None.

Techniques:

This was a very unusual class session.  After the ukemi, Tim had me work with Brad.  Brad attacked with punches and attempted to behave as he thought he would outside of the dojo.  I had a very difficult time dealing with this.  Some of it might be because Brad just stood there after I took him off-balance.  He did nothing and I felt safe, so we just stood there.  There were some times when things flowed better and I would get Ushiro-ate.  I also managed a variation from Koryu Di Yon No Kata, that was neat (I did need some prompting).  I never managed a Kote-gaeshi. 

Brad would often get inside both of my arms.  I was stymied in those situations.  Trey provided some insight for me at the end of class.  Trey and I also thought about trying Mune Tori Kata Gatam.  It didn't work, but at least we thought about it.


Aftermath: None of note.  A very humbling and enlightening afternoon.

0 comments: