10.30.2007

Monday Night at the Dojo 10/29

Aikidokas: Randy and Trey

The Walk: as usual.

Ukemi: Holding off on the rolls for a few more weeks. I'm guessing Nov. 12 or so at the moment.

Releases: We spent a lot of time on the second release this evening. Trey appeared to be having an "off night". It seems to me that happens a lot fairly early on in the study of aikido. I think it takes a while to grok the idea that it's going to take a while to grok aikido.

Techniques:

Shomen-ate: Trey and I both worked on this technique. We were both having issues. I'm not sure I like our new version of this technique

Aigamae-ate: Trey and I both worked on this technique. Iffy performance.

Gyakugamae-ate: Trey and I both worked on this technique. Iffy performance.

Ushiro-ate: Trey and I both worked on this technique. Easily Trey's best technique of the evening

I ran through the following with Randy while Trey watched.

Kote-hineri: I ran through a couple of attempts trying to grasp the new version. I tended to go "around the mountain" instead of "up and over the mountain". Still, it worked.

Kote-gaeshi: Several attempts on the new version of this. Nailed it once, timing was off on several other attempts.

Tenkai-kote-hineri: Got it the time I tried it. Forgot to keep the tenkai grip on the armbar at the finish.

Shiho-nage: One nice attempt and completion.

Mae-otoshi: One attempt that went fairly well.

Aftermath: none of note.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Scott,

Thanks for the comment.

I looked over your site and its a pretty extensive training log. I tried doing that for a while and I became way to obsessed with it.
I like the videos you took. That must be useful as a training tool as well.

Good luck to you in your training. I hope your recovery from injury goes quickly.


What dojo do you train at? The only people in Texas that I have gotten to train with are at the
Shinbukan Texas Keikokai in San Antonio.

Patrick Parker said...

So, what i new about your new shomenate? just the mention of it piques my interest..

Scott Zrubek said...

Let's see if I can describe the two approaches to teaching Shomen-ate.

Our old shomen had tori move off line and get uke off-blance and then strike to throw uke on a line 90 degrees from the original path of attack.

The new shomen is must faster and, in my opinion more abrupt. Tori moves off-line and moves into uke very quickly. Tori's response is directed 45 degrees from uke's original line of attack. If it's a right-sided attack, uke will end up being thrown 45 degrees counterclockwise from the original line. If it's a left-sided attack, uke gets thrown 45 clockwise from the original path.

I just don't, at the moment, see much blending in this approach. It leans more toward TKD than most of our techniques.