10.16.2007

Monday Night at the Dojo 10/15

Aikidokas: Randy, Oliver, Kim, and Trey

The Walk: as usual.

Ukemi: No rolls yet. Watched Trey and offered a few comments.

Releases: more work with Trey. I was a fair bit off this evening on just about everything

Techniques:

with Trey: Shomen-ate, Gyakugamae-ate, and Ushiro-ate. Iffy on Shomen and Gyaku. He did well on Ushiro. I had the same results.

As tori with Oliver: Mae-otoshi, Hiki-otoshi

Did ok. I've got some hand positioning issues on hiki and I need to let uke go when we're doing the roll-out version. Mae was the same as Monday night. Pretty decent.

As uke with Oliver: Shiho-nage, and Aigamae-ate

We did left-sided Shiho (to protect my right shoulder) and he did ok. Initial off-balances were tough to come by on Aigamae.

We did some knife attack and collar grab drills, very introductory. I did poorly.

Aftermath: none of note.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Man, thanks for the comment. I've checked out some of your stuff and it seems like you keep a pretty extensive training log. I've tried doing that in the past and I got way too obsessed over it. I also saw all the videos you posted. That's pretty cool. Do you do that to help with breaking down training techniques?

Anyway, good luck to you. I hope you get past your injury soon.

Where in Texas do you train by the way? The only folks I've gotten to meet down there are from the Shinbukan Texas Keikokai in San Antonio.

Scott Zrubek said...

I train at Clear Lake Aikido. We're about halfway between Houston and Galveston.

The training log is a way to get me to think, just a little, about each training session. It might help me retain stuff better, I'm not certain.

I'm the resident videographer for the dojo, so I try to tape anything of import. Next weekend I'll be taping our Technical Board's seminar that determines how we teach each technique.

The injury is pretty much cleared up. I really need to continue the at home therapy exercises, but I keep coming up with excuses not to.