6.19.2006

Weekend Woodworking

Kim was off at work on Saturday, so I spent some of the day on hurricane preparations. Cutting 1/2" plywood for all but our two biggest windows. The approach I use for window prep is to use Plylox clips. I know the guy who invented them, I worked on their web site, and even did a presentation at a local city council meeting for them about 10 years ago. So, I'm not unbiased.

Anyway, I had to cut the plywood to size for the windows. The instructions say to cut 1/4" shorter than the dimension of the opening, but for my windows it had to be 1" shorter. My windows aren't set into the brick far enough. A lot of my windows are the same size, so I was able to stack playwood sheets and cut out multiple windows at the same time.

After the plywood, and with the plywood scraps from the work, I started working on a dog house for our "boys".

The odds of them using it when it's complete? 10:1 against. If they don't use it, the cat probably will.

I've got all but the roof done and I've got to figure out how I want to put that together. This was an off-the-cuff, design it as you go project. And there are no *major* flaws so far.

Sunday was a day for turning some bottle stoppers on the lathe. I managed to get 5 done in about 2 and 1/2 hours. I'm happy with most of them, the one in blood wood turned out nicely. I do need to sharpen my small gouge, but that means firing up the Tormek and it's under a couple of layers of stuff at the moment.

Oh, I also had to clean up a dead rat that was starting to ferment in the garage. Ugh. The trashmen took it away today, I hope.

tag : :::

0 comments: