5.04.2006

Wednesday Night at the Dojo 5/3

Attendees: Sensei Tim, John, Keith, and Sheila. Stanley was at the dojo, but studying for a test.

Ukemi: did fairly well on both sides. Sensei worked with me to get a bounce out of my rolls. My task is to stand on my base leg, bending the knee, with my other leg ready to be sent over the top of my head. Slowly reach toward the mat with my hands, keeping my eyes forward, not down at the mat. When I've reached the point where I'm precariously balanced, I just tuck my chin. This causes my CG to drop down, sending my rolling over. I'm going to try this for the next couple of sessions before adding forward motion back into the prcatice. Unless Senseis suggest otherwise.

The Walk: Went well. Still have trouble remembering approach for the 10th stone. I think it's "same hand and foot". Also, spent some time later in the session going through the Walk with Sensei and Sheila as she's getting introduced to our way of doing things and learning the walk. Stones 1-7 were gone over during that time.

Bhakwas: Did 1, 2b, 3 and 6. Most of the techniques that appear in these are ones I haven't done. Switching hands is involved and was blowing my mind.

Techniques: I ran through 1 through 5 once each, right side only, with Sensei. We were demoing for Sheila and getting some repetitions in for me. Sensei explained why the lowered hand ready position for Ushiro-ate is the best approach for me given my height. My should is almost always going to be above uke's shoulder, so if I start at the normal ready position, I'll have a very tough time generating the first off-balance with any regularity. Starting with a low hand allows the rising hand to generate the off-to-the-side and up off-balance necessary for the technique.

Aftermath: The day after the first week of volleyball in a long time is rough, muscle-wise. And that's what last night was. Aikido generated just a little twinge in the right shoulder, but the addition of that to my general aches from volleyball made it an ibuprofen night. I slept really hard, though.

More ominous rumblings were made about my demonstration. Sensei Tim actually took some time out to check my mat hours and communicate them to Sensei Ray. Discussions took place about who was to uke. Eek!

tag :

0 comments: