5.15.2006

A hail of a weekend

Saturday showed up as a gorgeous day: pleasant temps, low humidity, sunshine, and nothing hard and fast on the schedule.

Did some financial housekeeping. The phone rings. Mike is on the other end with a tale of woe. His car wouldn't start and he's out in Katy trying to get his scuba store up and running. Would I come pick him up later that afternoon? Would I get a dolly so we can haul his car behind my truck on the way back? Sure.

I call uhaul and reserve a dolly. Do some more stuff around the house, get in the truck, pick up the dolly and head to Katy.

I get to the store and get the nickel tour of the joint. Mike got me a gig to help the store with some carpentry, so I sketch designs for the cubbyholes they need while we walk about the place. I was tempted to dive into the pool they have for lessons.

Eventually, we leave, pick up Mike's car and drag it all the way home. It's amazing how much having another car attached to a truck can affect the performance of said truck. A couple of times I was afraid the brakes weren't going to be up to the task of stopping in time, but we made it home safe and sound.

Sunday morning comes around and I head off to the Big Box store for lumber. Get home and do a little sawing, etc. until it's time for a Mother's Day lunch out with the family.

Heading home from the lunch, a storm pops up. We end up driving in driving rain, heavy winds (35 mph?) and hail for about 10 minutes. It's quite disconcerting to be driving, wondering if the windshield's going to crack when the next hail stone hits it. I don't think we got much damage on the truck, but I haven't really checked.

Home safe and sound, I wait for the rain to stop. Once it does, I get out and cut and connect more wood. About 6 hours later I get called in for supper, and to watch the taped episode of The West Wing.

Not a bad weekend. Definitely more active than it would have been without that phone call!


tag :

0 comments: