4.20.2013

Thursday recipe - Hokkaido Milk Bread

Another recipt from thefreshloaf.com


Tangzhong

1/3 C all purpose flour
1 C liquids (I used 2/3 C water and 1/3 C milk)

Final Dough

800g (around 5 C) all purpose flour
1/2 C sugar
50g (1/2 C) milk powder
1/2 C half and half
3/4 C milk
2 eggs
4 T butter
4 t instant yeast
1 t salt
all of the tangzhong

Combine all the ingredients in a bowl or standmixer and mix the heck out of it, 10 or 15 minutes, until the dough is silky and smooth.  I didn't initially add enough liquid so my dough was quite dry, but by adding more to the bowl and using wet hands I was able to work more milk and water into the dough.

Once you've needed the dough well, cover the bowl and let the dough rise until doubled in size, roughly an hour.

Divide the dough into smaller portions.  I divided the dough into 12 pieces and baked it in the 3 pans. 

Cover the pans loosely and allow to rise for half an hour, then glaze with milk or an egg wash.

Heat the oven to 350F while letting the loaves rise another 15-30 minutes.

I had to have K. put the pans in the oven as I had an aikido class to teach.  She baked the loaves at 350F for approximately 40 minutes.  If they are browning too much, you can cover them loosely with foil.

0 comments: