5.14.2012

Lunching out: Pelican Grill

Pelican Grill appeared on "Restaurant: Impossible" a couple of weeks ago. I've tried them once before, so I thought a couple of weeks after their episode of R:I aired would be a good time for another visit. Heavier traffic might have died down and they should still be in business.

The decor is a huge improvement. Previously it was strip mall salvage, now it's tied together and has a subtle seaside theme. The only issue I have with the new furniture is the banquettes have not been properly sanded. There's no risk of splinters, but it's still too rough for my tastes.

I think I ordered a burger last time, but I went with their chicken fried chicken this time. The waitress made a point of saying the green beans were fresh, leaving me to assume the corn and one other possible side were from cans. I ordered the green beans and the mashed potatoes as my sides.


The green beans, mashed potatoes, and gravy were quite tasty. The chicken was tender, and the breading had a nice flavor, but the breading fell off the chicken if you looked at it cross-wise. I'd like to see how it works with the chicken fried steak, which is also on their menu.

The service was friendly and attentive enough for me. They didn't inquire about whether I was interested in a dessert before presenting me with a bill, but they did bring out the dessert without any trouble. The problem with the dessert is it appeared to be a Sysco standard: an ok filling and a blecch crust. It was improved by the fact that it was served warm with a dollop of whipped cream.


Overall opinion: good. I think it still pales in comparison to the Seabrook Classic Cafe, but it is an option if SCC is likely to be too crowded.

Pelican Grill on Urbanspoon

0 comments: