2.26.2008

Saturday Afternoon at the Dojo 2/23/08

Aikidokas: Tim, Richard, Kim, and Trey

Ukemi: Ukemi went well.

The Walk: as usual

Releases: With Kim and Trey

Techniques:

I was tackling dummy for the day. I served as uke for Richard, Kim and Trey. Trey had some of his family in the audience and Tim wanted to give them a good flavor of the capabilities of aikido. So, everyone got to throw the big man.

We spent a lot of time on Oshi-taoshi. Trey is learning it now that he's a green belt and Kim needs it for her next demo, as well. Richard got to see the changes we've made in the techniques recently.

All in all, I got to fall a lot. A good day.

Aftermath: Still have a tight left calf muscle.

Update:

Forgot to talk about the "Name No Waza" (I think that's the spelling). The Way of the Wave. I think it's what Pat of Mokuren Dojo calls his "chains". You take a release, say number 1, and continue it beyond it's normal ending. Uke decides he wants to get back into the fight and it turns into techniques #6, Oshi-taoshi. Uke doesn't like that, pushes out of it, and it turns into Ude-gaeshi. Uke reacts out of that and it turns into Ude-hineri. Uke sees the face strike coming and reacts, turning it into Hiki-taoshi, which is a terminal technique.

Anyway, I was uke for all 3 folks on this. We worked on it for quite a bit. I was the only one who'd seen it much before, so it made sense for me to show folks what happens. Uke's response really drives the whole chain of events.

0 comments: