7.28.2006

Thursday Night at the Dojo 7/27

Attendees: Raj, John, Robert, Stasha, Oliver and Kim. Another big night.

Ukemi: Did ok.

The Walk: ok.

Releases: Worked with Oliver. I got frustrated all out of scale with my releases tonight. Some minor physical ailments were a contributing factor in my bad attitude. Almost a complete mental meltdown, though. Sigh.

Techniques: Worked with Oliver. Got through the first five as uke and tori. Much better mental attitude for the techniques for some reason.

Aftermath: Annoyed at myself. Substantially.

tag :

3 comments:

Patrick Parker said...

Hey, man, I know that frustrated feeling. one time some of my aiki buddies wanted to work through yon kata after a weenend seminar in an unheated dojo in the middle of winter. The 2 days of falling on rock hard frozen mats has already taken its toll and the yonkata reduced me to a cursing, babbling idiot. The only thing that improved my attitude was to take a space heater and put it between my legs and take a nap. I woke up thawed and much improved in my attitude.

I dont know about you but often that frustration is caused by people's perfectionism. A smart guy once said "you miss a lot that is very good when you aim for perfection." I dont know if perfectionism is one of your problems, so take that with a grain of salt.

Anyway, keep it up. I enjoy reading your blog to see what y'all are working on. You're Ray Williams' student - right? if so, say hi to him for me. Long time no see.

Poxbox said...

I've had mental meltdowns. You're not alone.

What kind of exercise do you do for ukemi practice?

Breakfalls? Rolls? What kind?

Scott Zrubek said...

@Patrick: I've passed along your "Hello" to Ray. Yes, I'm one of his students.

I expect to be perfect without working at it. Most of the time that attitude hides deep in my mind. Some days it just makes it presence known.