12.14.2006

Wednesday Night at the Dojo 12/13

Aikidokas: Tim, Fred, Marty, Keith, Oliver, and Joey.

Ukemi: Tim had some corrections to the footwork for the regular forward rolls. I was leaving my trailing foot behind. I need to bring it up near the leading foot to simulate a near-trip.

The Walk: I managed to count, do the walk, and kind of listen to Sensei Raymond talk on the phone. It was tough, but someone's got to do it.

Releases: Worked with Oliver. Went ok.

Techniques:

Worked with Oliver.

Shomen-ate: went well.

Aigamae-ate: went well.

Gyakugamea-ate: went well.

Gedan-ate: It didn't rock, but it did go well. :)

Ushiro-ate: first attempt was a little off. Went well after that.

Oshi-taoshi: push through the ear, don't row uke's arm. Remember to do the foot switch after the first off-balance.

Ude-gaeshi: went ok.

Ude-hineri : went ok. I think I'm still getting a big step on the first off-balance. Staying closer to uke generates a better reaction on the eye-flash.

Hiki-taoshi: I think this one went well. I'm doing better on floating the foot waiting for uke to pull me in. Also, my spacing seems to be better.

Waki-gatame : went well. I think I hit it on both sides, first try.

Spent some time working on 1-10 as Oliver's uke. We got up to 6. We spent a lot of time trying to get his off-balances correct. I asked Keith to throw me with #6 to try to figure out what's going on. We made some progress, but still need to make some more. Marty also tried #6 with me and was far more aggressive than I'm used to.

Aftermath: No new pains from this session. John came through surgery well (that's what Sensei Raymond was discussing during the walk). Fred is a longtime student who's been off for a while. I don't know if he'll be back consistently or not.

In-laws come in today. I might try to "sneak out" to the dojo to work with Oliver on my demonstration.

0 comments: