SoonerCon 20 - Con Report

I flew up to Oklahoma City on Thursday to be a part of SoonerCon for the first time. The con didn't start until Friday, but I wanted to be there to help set up the Art Show on Thursday night and to go to the pre-con dinner.

Before joining in on con stuff, I got a ride from the ever-accommodating Sensei Nick Lowry to Windsong Dojo. I spent a couple of enjoyable hours with him and his students before getting a ride back to the hotel.

The pre-con dinner was great: a chance to meet the con committee and enjoy a nice meal at Cafe do Brazil (Salmon and a nice salad).

Unfortunately, back at the hotel, we were not able to get in to the room to set up the art show on Thursday. We had to wait until Friday morning.

Friday morning started off with breakfast in the hotel restaurant (as did Saturday and Sunday). It was quite obvious that the hotel was also hosting some of the tams for the NCAA women's softball tournament. Lots of players and coaches were in the restaurant and throughout the hotel all during the weekend.

I went off to the art show room, unfortunately stuck at the end of a hallway, and helped Matt Alfred set up the art show. I put out my art and then alternated between sitting with Bill Parker at the Texas in 2013 bid table and helping out in the art show.

I think the art show closed around 6 p.m. which gave me the opportunity to go out and grab a bite to eat at Tapwerks Ale House and Cafe. I had their smothered chicken with green beans and mashed potatoes and added an apple crisp for dessert. The apple crisp was not that great, but the chicken was pretty good. I also had a couple of beers: Big Sky Moosedrool and St. Bernardus Abt 12. I liked both of these, probably the St. Bernardus Abt 12 was my preference. The waitress also gave me a sample of another beer, but I've forgotten what it was.

Up the next morning for breakfast and then my first panel of the con, a Koffee Klatch. I got the opportunity to sit around and shoot the breeze with some of OKC's fandom and nosh on some nice breads.

Then it was off to the art show and the Texas bid table for a few hours. During that time, I got to help Darrell K. Sweet hang his art. There were a couple of pieces of his that I'd love have hanging in my house, but the prices were a bit out of reach for me. While sitting around at the bid table, I got an education on reactions to a Chicago WorldCon art show that was not well received.

My next panel was "Monster in an Hour". Going in to it, I had some vague notion of what it was about and was a bit nervous. I figured we'd be drawing or building a monster in an hour. I was hoping for building as my drawing skills are non-existent. My hopes were dashed. We were to draw a monster in an hour. I managed to come up with something.

From there it was back to the art show to help get ready for the auction. We ran the auction and I then went up to the Texas bid party and helped Bill out until Midnight.

Up again for breakfast and back to the art show. Jimmy Simpson and I helped organize the piles of art and helped folks check out of the show.

I had a one o'clock panel : "Being a traditional artist in a digital age" I think I had at least a little something to contribute to that conversation.

Then back to the show to get my art checked out. I ended up selling 6 pieces. Not enough to cover all of my expenses, but I really did not expect to.

I was supposed to have a 3 p.m. panel, but I had to leave the con at 3:30 p.m. to catch my flight. The flight was uneventful ( I got the emergency exit row. Yay!) and quick.

If my schedule allows it, I'm looking forward to going to SoonerCon again next year.