5.18.2007

Wednesday Night at the Dojo 5/16

Aikidokas: Sensei Tim.

Ukemi: No real issues. I limited myself to two big falls to see how my body was reacting after the migraine

The Walk: Per usual.

Releases: Worked with Tim. It's got to be Center/Foot/Hand. That order. In order for anything to work properly

Techniques:

Spent the evening exploring the last 5 techniques of Owaza Ju Pon. The ATAA seminar coming up at the end of June will, supposedly, have a number of Nidans in attendance. They will be working on these items so Tim wanted to get me exposed to them.

6. Shiho-nage - four corner (all directions) throw - a slightly different version from the Ju Nana Hon Kata

7. Ushiro-ate - behind (from the rear) strike - a slightly different version from the Ju Nana Hon Kata

8. Kote-gaeshi - wrist turn - - a slightly different version from the Ju Nana Hon Kata

9. Ushiro-kubi-gatame - hold from behind (the rear) - a completely new technique

10. Shizumi-otoshi - sinking body drop - a completely new technique

I did a few reps on 6, 7 and 9 and did ok. I'm not proficient on the current Kote-gaeshi to try a new approach yet. The Shizumi-otoshi can be uke'd out of in two ways, but by that point in the evening it was not appropriate to try.

Aftermath: At some point during the evening, it may have been during a backfall somehow, I wrenched a back muscle. Bad enough that it rated a 4 or 5 on my pain scale that goes to 10. It didn't really make it's presence felt until I was uke for Ushiro-kubi-gatame, where uke really bends over at the waist.

By the next morning, it was down to a 2 or 3.

I hope to be able to get on the mat on Saturday. I'll show up and stretch at least. Pain level and number of aikidokas will determine what I do at that point.

0 comments: