1.23.2006

A host of hawks

Saturday morning, while going in and out of the house loading the truck for our trip to San Antonio, our local hawk contingent appeared. There were at least two pairs of red-shouldered hawks flying about and resting in our trees.

There may have been more, but I was unable to differentiate individuals and they were too mobile for them all to be at rest at one time.

I don't remember if this is their normal nest-building time, but I think it is. Maybe we'll have a nest in the yard again this year. It's been several years since we've had one in one of our tress, so maybe we're due.

I should post a picture of one of the pairs soon. I've got to get it off of the camera first.

I also saw several hawks sitting in trees along I-10 on our drive home fron San Antonio yesterday. 3 red-tailed hawks and 1 red-shouldered hawk. They all appeared to be quite annoyed with the rain and cold wind. They were all huddled against the wind, but they were resting in places that received a full does of the wind.

The red-tails were mostly white bodies with dark wings and backs and red bars on the tails of one of them. The red-shoulder was the typical orange body and head with the dark wings.

0 comments: