8.28.2007

Wednesday Night at the Dojo 8/22: Ouch

Aikidokas: Sensei Tim

Ukemi: Decent. Big Falls were a little off tonight.

The walk: as usual.

Releases: as usual

Techniques:

We spent some time going through the modified curriculum. Things went well until we go to kote-gaeshi. We did some attempts with me as tori. We then tried some with me as uke. I thought I might be able to strike tori with my off hand and mentioned that I would be attempting to do so.

The next attack ended poorly. We tumbled. I landed on my shoulder separating the AC joint.

While recovering, I had to lie down to prevent passing out.

Aftermath: Separated AC joint. Out for, I'm guessing, 4 to 6 weeks. Driving a stick shift with a bum right shoulder is an adventure. I try not to shift into 5th gear.

4 comments:

Patrick Parker said...

Argh! I hate that you hurt your AC joint. That puts a crimp in your training. Maybe you can use the time for some reading and observing and sharpen some of the skills besides physical that will help you in the martial arts. At least observing will keep you in the dojo.

On the other hand (ha, I'm funny!) you can wear an immobilizer and do releases and mny techniques with your other arm...

pat

Scott Zrubek said...

Thanks! What I plan on doing is going with my wife when she goes to the dojo. I did that Monday and did some commenting from the sidelines.

I'm tempted to get out on the mat, but if I stumble and fall I could be in a world of hurt. Admittedly, it doesn't happen very often doing releases, but the risk/reward is out of kilter at the moment. After my re-evaluation next week I might be more likely to get on the mat.

I ought to break out the DVD of double-hand grabs and watch that instead of the Hollywood fare I've checked out from the library

Patrick Parker said...

That DVD sounds cool. I wonder what it'd take to get a copy of it or what would I have to do to talk you into uploading some clips of it to your blog?

I've linked to your blog in my recent Promote Three post because you were one of the first blogs tht I found when I started blogging and Your training logs are so cool they've helped to keep me going with mine. Thanks. Keep it up.

http://mokurendojo.blogspot.com/2007/08/promote-three-more.html

Scott Zrubek said...

It was an in-dojo created DVD. I'll see if I can rip and burn it.

If I can, I'll send it on your way. I'm trying to limit my computer time at the moment because of the shoulder, so it may be a while.

Thanks for the promo!