8.15.2007

Armadillocon Con Report

The middle of the con stunk, but that's because it ended up being the end of the con for me. And it was beyond the control of anyone on the con committee. Damn thieves!

The rest of the con was great and went far smoother than I expected it to.

I pulled in to Austin around noon on Thursday and had plenty of time to do nothing. The art show equipment had been loaded on the truck the night before, so we were just waiting until after dinner to unload it and set up the show.

After dinner, we unloaded and set up the show in about 2 hours. We were done by 10:30, I think. I headed to the con suite, had a beer and turned in for the night.

Up bright and early to start hanging the art in the art show. It went really well. I had a number of helpers whose names have slipped my mind due to later events. We were very close to being as done as we could be by the time we opened at noon, Two hours before registration opened.

Bidding went well Friday. We had a piece already designated for the auction by the end of the night. I really do enjoy having the show open during the Opening Reception. I think having easy access to alcohol does help loosen bidding fingers.

I glanced in a couple of room parties, but it's hard to entice me to stay, but I quickly headed for slumber.

Up again early to open the art show. Matthew Duarte and Laura Domitz were absolutely indispensable to me over the weekend, allowing me some time away from the art show to handle stuff and check out the Charity Auction.

The Art Show Auction had 22 pieces in it. There was some lively bidding on occasion, mostly on Peri Charlifu's pieces. I even ended up coming home with one of them.

About this time my weekend went to hell with the phone call telling me of the break in at home. I scrambled to set the art show so I could abandon it in the morning. We closed out all of the folks who wanted to settle their bills and then set to doing as much as we could before closing up for the night.

Pictures from the con should be up sometime soon.

I've been asked to run the Art Show again next year and have said yes.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The art show was really great this year. We had some very good art and the stress level was non-existant. I dunno. It just had a different vibe this year. I hope everything is okay at home. Did the cat come back from walkabout yet?
~Kimm

Scott Zrubek said...

All of the animals are back home. Mercuri has a few bumps and nicks that we're watching, but otherwise is in fine shape.

The dogs both seem to have some PTSD from the break-in. I hope those issues won't take too long to work through.

I received the Art Show binder in the mail yesterday and started working on the numbers. We sold about $5300 worth of art this year. Not bad. I need to go through my records to see how much we sold last year.

Anonymous said...

thank goodness! I've been thinking about you. Have you talked to your vet about the PTSD? There might be some aromatherapy things you can do to help them through it. And I would assume that lots of love and brushing and play time would help as well. Renee might have some ideas. She seems to know stuff like that.

$5300 is a record, I think! (Minus the Palencar year. That one doesn't count. :) )

~Kimm

Scott Zrubek said...

No, we haven't talked to the vet about PTSD yet. Tank has always had issues that we've been working through. This event undid a bunch of work we'd managed, although it seems to be manifesting a little different now.

We did give the boys a mild sedative last night since we had to sleep with the windows open. Jack would have barked all night long without it. (Each time an animal wandered into the yard)

It will just take some time and lots of love.