12.12.2005

Welcome, Mercuri!


With the loss of Pypn and Avalon this year, we found ourselves needing to add a cat to the household. Once I started looking at petfinder.com, it didn't take long to find several that looked like they might be a good fit in the household. I was looking for a male, Russian Blue (or mix thereof) kitten.

One of the ones I found was apparently listed in error. The group that was trying to place him doesn't list kittens. You have to show up at one of their pet store adoption sessions and see if they have any you're interested. They didn't tell me where this guy would be making his next appearance.

The second one I found was at a very local pound. Unfortunately, I had to go to Portland the weekend after I saw him online and, since he was in a foster home and only at a shelter on the weekends, I didn't get to see him. When I came home from Portland, he'd been adopted.

However, the lady in charge of fostering at this shelter sent me an email about this female Russian Blue kitten that was at the shelter. She could be visited any time the shelter was open. So, last Wednesday I drove the 10 miles to the shelter to look at her. She was a darling, snuggling up to me very quickly. She also had sharp teeth that she was interested in using to chew my thumb. I was warned not to let her break the skin because if she did, they would have to quarantine her, or something similar.

I was smitten. I went into another room and called Kim at work to see if she minded if I brought a new resident home that evening. She didn't.

I filled out the paperwork, got the carrier from the truck (a dog-sized carrier is almost always in the truck to save time when we take the boys out geocaching or to agility) and packed Mercuri into the carrier.

The dogs, Vlad and Mercuri are getting along quite well after such a short period of time. They will all happily rest next to one another. the only problem they have is when Tank charges at Mercuri to play. Mercuri does not like that at all. In time, she'll learn that he's just playing.

The name Mercuri came from the Table of the Elements because of her color. We changed the "y" to an "i" to give it a slightly more feminine feel.

At the moment, Mercuri is at the vet recovering from her spaying. She is not happy. It nearly broke my heart to see her complaining. She comes home tomorrow.

0 comments: