3.13.2020

Dining out - Garage Bar & Grill

Friday's lunch was at the Garage Bar & Grill on the 35 Bypass in Alvin.  The structure for the building is a huge metal building (3 stories tall or so) and it's designed to be open-air on good days.  a number of roll-up doors and an outdoor porch.  the parking is decent, with covered parking for motorcycles only.  I think that gives you some idea as to their preferred crowd.

Inside the restaurant, they've got a bar and a large number of tables around it.  There's a small stage for the bands they have on a regular basis.  There's one pay-to-play pool table and a bunch of TV screens all around.  There was a sign on one of the walls advertising an upcoming extreme midget wrestling event.  Without a band on stage, the music is C&W, some of a classic vintage, so not terrible to listen to.

The menu offered a bunch of appetizers, burgers and blue plates.  There was a separate bar menu, as well.

I think there were two other parties in there dining at various tables at noon on a Friday.  A few more folks sitting at the bar.  But, I don't guess they expect huge crowds for lunch on a weekday.

I ordered the chicken fried chicken with green beans and mashed potatoes.  If I had to do it all over again, I would NOT order the mashed potatoes.  They tasted instant to me.  The chicken fried chicken and green beans were good though.  The portions are smaller than what I would get at the Seabrook Classic Cafe for about the same money.

The service was okay.  After my meal was dropped off, the waitress did not stop by to check up on me or offer to refill my tea.  She offered a refill after I'd finished eating when she asked whether I was ready for the check.

Overall, this was a far better meal than I was expecting.

0 comments: