4.01.2008

Aggiecon 39

I've been going to this con since, I think, #14. Definitely since #15. So, I was determined to go, even with my twisted ankle.

In fact, it's probably better that I was limited in mobility than not. If I'd been more mobile, I would likely have been more disappointed in the con, overall.

The number of panels that were of interest was small. The number of author guests was small. That was probably a fallout from inviting someone to be Guest of Honor and then uninviting them. A number of folks heard about it and decided not to make the trip to College Station.

I spent most of my time behind the F.A.C.T. table, "helping" the Siros brothers. I got some reading done and a bunch of visiting, too. Given that I paid for a hotel room and entry into the con, it was a fiscally irresponsible weekend if you consider the number of panels I attended (3). I did not compound the issue by buying stuff in the Dealer's Room. This was my first con ever where I did not buy something in either the Art Show or the Dealer's Room. Amazing.

The Art Show was an interesting study in censorship this year. According to rumor, the Texas A&M Board of Regents was having their occasional meeting in the MSC this weekend. The MSC, wishing to avoid a confrontation with the Regents, told the art show folks to cover up any visible "naughty bits". They did so, under a bit of protest, with blue tape. A large number of con attendees subsequently taped over their own naughty bits with blue tape in protest.

I heard a rumor that the con chair's husband had did of an aneurysm recently. That would certainly adversely affect the planning for the con. The con seemed to be run fairly well over the weekend.

I hope they learn a lot from this one, because I'm actually considering not going in the future. It's the only guaranteed time during the year that I make it back to my alma mater. And I really enjoy going to College Station. It's a nice drive and a nice town. I need to additional incentive of a con to get me off the dime and get up there.

0 comments: