12.21.2006

Sankyu. Sankyu, very much.

Aikidokas: Tim, Randy, Fred, Marty, Keith, and Oliver.

Ukemi: Not bad.

The Walk: We probably wouldn't have done the walk tonight if some of us hadn't needed a refresher.

The rest of the evening was spent working with Oliver getting ready for my demonstration. We went through releases twice and through the techniques once. Sensei Raymond recommended we take a breather before going through techniques a second time. We never got back on the mat for the second practice.

The first practice run went ok except for forgetting which technique I was supposed to do on left side Gedan-ate. I got to the first off-balance and froze. I'm starting to develop a routine when running through a consecutive set of techniques.

I recite, internally, the technique number (I really ought to start reciting technique name instead), which side we're performing the technique and which foot the tsugi ashi starts with. I then take a breath and am ready to proceed.

The Demonstration:

The walk went ok.

The releases stunk. My pivots were horrible.

Techniques:

Shomen-ate: went well.

Aigamae-ate: went well.

Gyakugamea-ate: went well.

Gedan-ate: It didn't rock, but it did go well. :)

Ushiro-ate: I did not manage to get the hook with the working hand very well.

Oshi-taoshi: went ok.

Ude-gaeshi: went ok on the right side. Was a complete and unmitigated footwork disaster on the left side. I took about 73 small steps after the pivot when it should have just been one.

Ude-hineri : went ok.

Hiki-taoshi: went ok. Spent some time making certain of the hand positions. I think I ended up with them being correct. At least on the right side. I have no memory of the left side.

Waki-gatame : went well. I don't think I raised my arms out of center. I think I controlled the elbow with the non-working hand. This is a technique that I am well-suited to with my height, so I hope I'm getting it right.

After much discussion, the review board (6 black belts) gave me the brown belt. Actually, it's more of a latte belt. Sensei did not have a brown belt in my size in the dojo, so he made do with a latte belt just one size too small. I'll still be wearing my green belt on the mat since it fits, but the certificate of Sankyu is in my hot little hands.

We then adjourned to off-mat discussions and consumption of the beer I brought. Sensei was surprised as beer is apparently only a "requirement" for dan-grade promotions. I didn't want to be caught unprepared.

And the beer was good. Pilsner Urquell. My local liquor store didn't have any, so I had to go to the local grocery store to get some. That just seems wrong somehow.

Must go collapse now.

3 comments:

Patrick Parker said...

Yay you! Yippee! Congratulations.

Unknown said...

merry christmas!

Unknown said...

ps. this has even less english than your other entry thingies! congradulations!